Keep a social journal of your work progress as you make and learn things.


Finally decided to merge and deploy my #Ruby RSS backend functionality for #midnightmurderparty so we can support RSS readers, emails, and social media distribution.

  • Initially tried rewriting all the RSS feed generation using Ruby’s RSS standard library so we can move off of a gem called Builder, which has been stagnant since 2014 (R.I.P. Jim Weirich 😢), but couldn’t seem to get the standard lib to work properly. Jim’s gem is simpler and better. Much more control.
  • After scrapping the rewrite, I tested the original RSS code, deployed to our staging server, and ran the feed by @rhitakorrr. With his feedback, I updated two fields and added one.
  • Lastly, I deployed the fixed up RSS feed code to our staging server for future pre-prod testing.

RSS had been languishing in its feature branch for a week or two because as of late I’ve been busy with deployment and error emails, likely future log subjects. All things considered, I’m very satisfied I finally got around to shipping RSS.