Let’s see if I can get back to daily (or at least near daily) logging again. Today, I:
- Got some #writing done on my current #shortstory—about 700 words on the manual typewriter, which I’m enjoying quite a bit so far.
Now, I’ll probably read for a little bit and maybe play some Osu! or Overwatch. Something that starts with an ‘O’ anyway.
I’m terrified right now. I finally wrote the major part of the #midnightmurderparty enhancement, which involved refactoring huge portions of navigation logic. It was the kind of refactor where you really can’t compile and test until it’s basically done.
Except there weren’t. As far as I can tell, everything still works fine immediately after this massive refactor. I know this is #Elm, but this is too smooth even still. There must be a sneaky logic error somewhere, but I haven’t found it yet.
It works, and that’s terrifying.
Tonight I made more progress on #midnightmurderparty. I’m working on a pretty big enhancement at the moment. In the #reader, there is a lot of collision detection regarding which headings are currently within the viewport of the book. The enhancement, instead of checking all headings against the viewport every page turn, just does so once–when it renders–and stores that data in a map from page number to list of elements.
Aside from that, I spent most of the day with a friend. We went to a diner, made cookies, and watched a Twitch stream of Super Mario RPG.
Did some more work on my #hakyll_portfolio_blog tonight. Initially intended to work on actually designing the site, but got caught up prettying up my routes so they would look like
/posts/my-blog-post/ instead of
/posts/2016-12-08-my-blog-post.html. Between learning a new library and figuring out how to do #regex in #Haskell, it was more challenging than expected. And that’s before I realized I was modifying external URLs as well as my own. Woops!
Tonight turned out to be more of a cleanup night than a dev night.
- Cleaned up all the #midnightmurderparty todos and consolidated them as issues and milestones on #github
- And, as a bonus, washed the dishes, unpacked from vacation (finally), and tidied up my apartment
- Needing to dynamically create script tags on the page based on config (which leads to all sorts of script loading order mayhem)
- Needing to pass static data around in the #Elm model
- Build system upgrade
- Now injects values from config file directly into the source
- Allows specifying
--devin terminal to run in dev mode, prod otherwise
- Dev and prod mode both have their own values in the config file
- If running in prod, the build script will remove console logs, debuggers, alerts, etc.
Tonight’s been pretty fun. Went out with some friends and didn’t get home until after midnight. Instead of going to bed like a reasonable person, I decided to implement another feature in the #midnightmurderparty #reader.
Honestly, the base feature was pretty easy to implement – just better repositioning of the user within the #reader when they resize the book and cause a text reflow – but, of course, I decided to get fancy and wanted to show the reader with a blinking paragraph approximately where they were before the text moved around. That added a ton of unexpected complexity which took me an extra two hours to get working in a way I liked.
Deployed the #larder folder changes today and spent hours ticking off all my support emails.