littlelogs

Keep a social journal of your work progress as you make and learn things.

rhitakorrr
rhitakorrr

As of yesterday, the #Elm game engine started to look like an actual engine instead of a mess of #ECS code mixed with half a game implementation. I plan to use this for later optimizations. It originally started as an extension of #MidnightMurderParty, but I think at this point it’s just become its own project. I should think of a name for it.

Changes I made on the engine tonight:

  • When initializing a game, the user can now issue a Cmd before providing the engine with the game data. This allows for basing the game data on HTTP requests and such, which I intend to use for MMP to retrieve JSON from a database as content is released.
  • With a bit of extra type magic (there’s already plenty going on), I got the engine tracking which system (as in Entity-Component-System) is currently running, along with some extra data about the system. I also added a function that will allow running one system from within another and restore the original context when the nested system finishes.
rhitakorrr
rhitakorrr

I must have been tired because somehow “I plan to use this for later optimizations” ended up in the first paragraph, when it should have been in the second bullet point referring to tracking the currently running system. Woops.

25 February