Getting through some admin today: wrote up my #monthlyreview, and the monthly report for #HelloCode (blog post still pending). Wrote a short testimonial quote for a product I like, on request. Sent out my #newsletter and the #monthlyreview form for this month. Also had a #piano lesson today and did some work on a new secret project that I’m launching soon…
Yesterday: Hosted two different Michael Jackson groups/shows #rehearsals, long technical/sales meeting to outsource IT for when I leave Vegas, setup & ran a remote audition over Skype from my #stage. Sourced & curated a 6+ hour long custom playlist of Australian music, so much #didgeridoo, which reminded me of #hellocode.co and #littlelogs.
Also sorted through all the suggestions for #exist that we got on #changemap over the past couple of days—only 1/5 was not a duplicate. It’s so frustrating when users ignore the message right on the suggestion form that asks them to search for their idea before suggesting it. It creates a big waste of time for me and doesn’t help anyone. /rant
Also updated the Exist FAQs page, as it was quite out-of-date in a few areas.
Changed my #rescuetime hours this week to be 4 hours every morning so I have afternoons off for #HelloCode. I was finding it hard to be totally switched off from Hello Code for 3 days a week, and to plan everything I need to do for RescueTime in just 3 days. This setup seems to work better.
Last week I sent a new update of #exist for #ios to the App Store with some bug fixes and some different bug fixes to my beta testers. I also wrote a new post for the #larder blog about why I blog about my code even though I’m not an expert.
This week I’ve mostly been doing #exist #support. We’ve had a lot of new users, because we got a really nice mention on Back to Work, a podcast with Merlin Mann that seems pretty popular! With this has come a lot of extra emails to reply to, and a few bugs to follow up. I also did a bunch of #hellocode monthly reports to bring us up to date, with @belle taking over from now because she cares a lot more about doing them promptly.
- Paid my latest #tax instalment
- Cleared out my inbox (mostly)
- Followed up most of the #changemap tasks for #exist that came in over the past week
- Wrote up the Hello Code monthly report for December and drafted a matching #blog post
- Worked on bug fixes for #exist for #ios, sent a new version to TestFlight, and tried to submit a new version to the App Store but iTunesConnect was broken yet again.
Later I did two monthly reports for the #hellocode blog and even updated our numbers on some transparent startups site that added us recently. Not sure how useful that is for us, but I want to pitch changemap to the guy who makes it at some point, so I’m essentially doing it for the brownie points that I can hopefully redeem later 😉
Today I worked on adding more to the #exist #android app. I’ve got the 8-day graphs in there, looking similar to the web version and sliding open and closed just the same, but I’m not 100% convinced by this graph library. I’m not sure if I’ll fork it and fix my niggles, or keep looking. At this stage it seems easier to fix it than rewrite my code to use another.
Also tonight I finished off some birthday prep for @belle’s birthday, which is today (it’s just after midnight now). I learned I’m really really bad at tying knots in balloons 😄😢 and I’m sure all the noise I made gave it away. I forgot how loud they are. Anyway, happy birthday Belle! I hope in the next year we can make you some excellent #hellocode income and end this limbo.
Spent quite a bit of time putting together new pitches for #client #content work this afternoon. A couple of my clients have cut back my workload, so I’m in panic mode again about having enough work in the future. A stop gap job isn’t very good if it’s not stable while you work on your side project! Debating different options for improving that situation, but don’t want to take my focus off #HelloCode if I can help it.
Also published a planner review on my #blog that I’ve been meaning to finish for a while, and wrote up a long post about my analogue planner setup for next year. And did some final edits on another draft I had waiting, so I think I’ll hit my goal of publishing 4 posts on my blog this month!
This afternoon @belle and I did a new #hellocode podcast episode, which we haven’t done for many months. You can listen here. We check in on Exist, Changemap, and Larder, talk about continued income woes, and wonder what we’ll even do with poor old Exist.
Tonight to keep some progress happening on #exist, I worked on its #android app, updating the tab style and starting the work to add the 8-day graphs. I’ve made decent progress in a short period, so either it’ll be done soon, or I’ll keep adding some more stuff to it to match the web app.
I’ve been working a bit extra on #client #content work lately so I could have this week off without losing income. So far I’ve mainly just been relaxing, but sometimes you need a break to do nothing and recover for a bit. Hoping to get some good work done for #HelloCode later in the week, as well as some #birthday fun!
Yesterday I finished up my #client #content work for the week. Really need to get onto client work earlier in future weeks so it doesn’t bleed into my weekend. I’m also adjusting my schedule to take on more client work in working weeks, but have one week off every month.
Also caught up with a friend on Friday who’s been travelling for more than a year. It was nice to catch up, but it made me realise how little progress I’ve made in the past year, which made me sad. I’d planned to be working full-time on #HelloCode by the end of this year but we’ve struggled to grow so much that end of next year is looking more likely. #laterlog
Tonight with some help from Linode I moved the #hellocode server (which has all the small things, like the hellocode.co domain, #littlelogs etc) from its legacy, memory-constrained Tokyo server to a shiny new one in Singapore with 4x the RAM (for the same price). Hopefully won’t have any more issues with out-of-memory errors now.
On a totally different topic, I’ve been really torn about #ios development recently, as I think I enjoy doing it, but when I had the chance to submit my resume for consideration for a contract recently I baulked at the idea, and I wondered if maybe I don’t like it that much after all. But the little bits I’ve done on #exist this week have reminded me that it can be fun and it’s enjoyable when I feel confident about what I’m doing—there’s just a lot more for me to learn before I can be confident about iOS development on average.
I’m not sure what that means going forward, but it’s good to rethink how you feel about your work sometimes.
Another busy #HelloCode day today:
- Drafted a blog post for #exist about our new Todoist integration
- Finished replying to #interview questions from @josh so he could publish our first interview on the #larder blog
- Finished my first draft of my first personal #essay attempt. Got some feedback from @josh so I can refine it before pitching to editors.
- Drafted a post for the Larder blog about my work schedule
- Worked on a post for the Hello Code blog about fixing a tricky #exist for #ios a while ago
- Emailed some active Exist for iOS users to see if they’ll beta test for me, as I have a tiny pool of testers
- Republished my #sketchnotes post from my #blog yesterday on Medium
- Cleared my inbox
- Sent a media pitch about Exist
- Thought I finished the Larder import/export guide but it needs some changes still
Another big day starting work at 1pm, though things seemed to take longer today. Here’s what I got done:
- Finished my first #client #content article and submitted it
- Drafted, edited, and finished off my second (and last) client article and submitted it (that’s right, no more client work this week! #HelloCode time ahoy!)
- Planned #larder blog topics after discussing with @josh last night what kind of audience to focus on
- Brainstormed guest post topics to go with yesterday’s list of places to pitch guest posts to
- Pitched some articles from my #blog and the #exist blog to be republished on a tech site that’s syndicated our content in the past. Unfortunately, my contact has left the company and I got a big run-around when trying to figure out who to contact now, so that may not lead anywhere
- Hit #inboxzero
Day 2 of my new morning routine went okay. I got started a bit late, but managed to fit everything in to some degree. It’s nice to be doing some personal #writing in the mornings again.
Also wrote up July’s #HelloCode monthly report today, followed up a couple of #client emails, and made some changes to my productivity #book sign up page to reflect my new ideas for it. I’m going to focus it more on analogue productivity, and fold in some of the general #productivity research I’d planned to include. So it’s time to create a #littlelogs project for it! #productivitybook
This afternoon @josh and I recorded a couple of #HelloCode #podcast episodes, and then I felt a bit better, so I got stuck into #exist for #ios. The next step in my process of bringing it inline with the Android app wasn’t due until the 28th of July, but I finished it this afternoon! Pretty happy with how smoothly this is all going so far. Might even get the bulk of it done this month!
Had breakfast with my Dad today, who was visiting from Tassie. We talked about how frustrated I am with my slow progress towards working on #HelloCode full-time, and he said the best way to not be miserable every day is to feel like I’m making progress towards where I want to be. Good reminder. I think I’ll swap my daily plan so I do Hello Code work first, and #client #content work later in the day.
Somehow contracted a cold over the weekend, so not a lot of work has been going on. Focusing on breathing and snot removal for now. 😷
Had a meeting about an #ios job today, but since I want to jump back into #HelloCode as soon as it can support me full-time, I think I’m going to find it hard to convince anyone to take me on as a junior developer. Spent some time on a regular #jobhunt after getting home but I’m really struggling to find any jobs I’m suitable for, let alone any I’m excited about.
Oh, and in other great news, the #exist for iOS bug I thought I had fixed isn’t fixed at all. So I’m back to the drawing board with that one.
Yesterday I had a meeting with a new #client about doing a little bit of #content work for them. This is a really exciting project to work on, because it’s something I really care about more than just something that will pay the bills.
Also met with a recruiter to chat about getting an #ios job. He said I’m in a good position to apply for junior roles, which was nice to hear. @josh and I are unsure about whether going into a full-time role is a good thing for #HelloCode but I haven’t come up with a better way to keep the bills paid and do work I enjoy while we keep growing Hello Code, either. #laterlog
- Continued #french study for my next #FieldTrip article. Focusing on different grammatical concepts, especially past and future tenses. It seems so complicated, even though we have pretty much as many rules in English.
- Ended up having appointments 5/7 days this week in total. Have to figure out how to cut down on time spent travelling back and forth to the city, as it takes around 3 hours for each 1hr appointment and makes it hard for me to focus on work once I’m home again.
- Asked around on Twitter for any leads on a jnr #ios job, as I’m thinking I’d like to spend my day job (since I have to have one while #HelloCode continues to grow slowly) learning to be a better developer. Have a couple of potential leads to follow up this week and next. Yay!
Trying to make daily to do lists again this week to keep me on track, as weekly lists weren’t enough for me to know what to work on all the time. Today I managed to write and send off both my #client #content articles due this week. Aiming to get client work finished by Wednesday every week from now on, so I have plenty of time left for #HelloCode.
Haven’t been logging much lately because I didn’t feel like I’d gotten much done, but here’s a #laterlog of small things from the past couple of days:
Had a big chat with @josh today about my work situation and our progress (or lack of) with #HelloCode. We ended up deciding getting a mentor would really help me make faster progress with #ios, and overcome some of the frustration of getting stuck all the time, so I wrote up a quick call for help on my blog: Looking for an iOS development mentor.
Today was all about #exist #support and #admin things. I ticked off a bunch of support tickets waiting for a response, and started to sort out our tax for the last quarter — only to be stumped by needing to ask the accountant for some clarification on a point or two. I hate this stuff. Once #HelloCode is making more than enough money for two salaries, I am paying someone more qualified to do all things accounting-related.