I’ve spent the last few days working on an engine for text-based games in #Elm, the goal being to use this engine to code the #MidnightMurderParty interactive segments. Turns out, modeling a game engine in a purely functional, strictly typed language is tricky. Since game objects have different properties and behaviors, modeling them as the same type (so they can be stored in a
Dict) isn’t really straightforward.
After some research, I decided to go with an Entity-Component-System (ECS) approach, which has been a challenge as the first time I’d heard about such a pattern was on Friday. Since then, I’ve written some terrible code, refactored many times, and only now have something that looks promising enough to move forward with. There’s still a lot to figure out (cross-entity/component messaging, for example), but at least now I have an idea of how this might work.