Yesterday I spent the afternoon working on adding #customtracking to #exist for #ios. @josh helped me work out the basic steps to get the user’s custom tags showing up, but I got stuck on the layout and ran out of time to get it working.
I also finally made it to a #cocoaheads meetup last night. I’ve been meaning to go for months and something always stops me, so even though I got off at the wrong train station and had to walk an extra 25 minutes to get there, I made sure I did!
Yesterday I tried using
beginBackgroundTaskWithExpirationHandler to ask #ios to give my app more time to complete tasks in the background. This seems to have fixed the #exist for iOS bug @josh and I have been struggling with for a week now. Certain calls, usually when my app was in the background, were taking ages and eventually timing out during the handshake stage with the server. It seems like it was actually iOS killing the tasks, but I don’t know why it was taking so long to do so. I didn’t try this
beginBackgroundTask method earlier because everywhere I’ve seen it mentioned it seems to be used for continuing tasks in the background that were started in the foreground, which isn’t what I’m doing, but it seems to have worked anyway! #laterlog
In other news, I crashed and burned in a technical phone interview on Thursday. It turns out that having over 10 years of experience isn’t enough if you don’t know the fundamentals of computer science/software development (which I would have gained had I stayed in University).
I can clearly code and produce solutions to client’s/employer’s problems quickly, but it’s a whole different ball game when the hiring company’s core product is software.
As a result of this failed interview I had a pretty low Friday with a few rough moments, but distracted myself with some more TalentHunch coding. #laterlog
Spent most of yesterday afternoon debugging an issue in #exist for #ios affecting a couple of users. For some days (but not all), their steps and distance data from #AppleHealth (but not any other data) was super low and incorrect. Lucky @josh was able to help me debug it because I got really stuck and wouldn’t have figured it out by myself.
Turns out the issue was due to me asking HealthKit for data for each day up to midnight for the following day, which sometimes included a tiny number of steps and distance right in that first second of the following day. Once we figured out why I was getting the extra data (totally my fault) and how to exclude it from the results I was sending to the Exist API, the fix didn’t take long. And thankfully Apple approved the update overnight, so it’s already in the App Store. I think that’s the quickest I’ve ever had an update go through Apple review. #laterlog
Yesterday I did some more work on #exist for #ios. I’m still working on building in the new feature to show your mood note and rating from this day a year ago after you submit a mood rating for today. I wanted to re-use layout code for the mood note and rating UI but being the n00b I am, I hadn’t made my old code generic enough, so I spent a good chunk of yesterday afternoon decoupling my code and making it more generic. #laterlog
- Paid my latest #tax instalment
- Cleared out my inbox (mostly)
- Followed up most of the #changemap tasks for #exist that came in over the past week
- Wrote up the Hello Code monthly report for December and drafted a matching #blog post
- Worked on bug fixes for #exist for #ios, sent a new version to TestFlight, and tried to submit a new version to the App Store but iTunesConnect was broken yet again.
A very late #laterlog:
- My wisdom tooth operation went well.
- Achieved very little #talenthunch dev during my work leave/recovery time.
- Last Saturday I moved into the house I’ll be house/cat sitting for the next 5 weeks (within walking, instead of driving, distance to the CBD).
- Achieved a good chunk of TalentHunch dev in November, but still a bit to do.
- Will be finishing up at my real job on the 21st December, so will need to find something to do next year (which might be TalentHunch, depending on the timing).
A very late #laterlog to mention that @josh and I spent all afternoon Sunday #pairprogramming to implement a new feature in #exist for #ios: in-app notifications! We’ve had these for a while in the web app, so users are alerted when we’ve made a major change like adding a new feature or integration, but not on mobile. Josh recently added them to the Android app and was kind enough to help me get them done on iOS in an afternoon. Just need to do some testing now, but hopefully I’ll be able to release a small update with this feature included soon!
Yesterday I finished up my #client #content work for the week. Really need to get onto client work earlier in future weeks so it doesn’t bleed into my weekend. I’m also adjusting my schedule to take on more client work in working weeks, but have one week off every month.
Also caught up with a friend on Friday who’s been travelling for more than a year. It was nice to catch up, but it made me realise how little progress I’ve made in the past year, which made me sad. I’d planned to be working full-time on #HelloCode by the end of this year but we’ve struggled to grow so much that end of next year is looking more likely. #laterlog
This week has been going much better in terms of my mood and motivation. I did lots of small tasks, emails, etc. on Monday morning and spent Monday afternoon doing #research #sketchnotes for a #client #content article.
After that I made a new branch and had a play with grabbing food data from #applehealth and sending it to Exist. It was simpler than I thought, but surprisingly hard to find an app to put the data into Apple Health correctly in the first place. #laterlog
In other #laterlog news; at my day job yesterday I had to move my workspace from my teammate’s office out into a common area to make way for a new staff member starting on Monday. Was also told that I couldn’t attend an all staff 3 day meeting/getaway because I’m only a temp. Wasn’t the best Friday I’ve ever had.
Yesterday I did an interview for a podcast, and otherwise spent most of the day reading and working on topic ideas to pitch for #client #content work. Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment, as there’s plenty of client work to do, and work on #exist to be done, but I also really want to work on a bunch of ideas to increase my product income so I can rely less on freelancing. Too much to do! #laterlog
Have been continuing to build the #talenthunch job search engine component this week. Have successfully worked out how to index jobs from GitHub Jobs, Indeed and Seek.
I wanted to get more done before I start my new job tomorrow, but I think I might just have to leave it for a bit unfortunately. #laterlog
Yesterday I had a meeting with a new #client about doing a little bit of #content work for them. This is a really exciting project to work on, because it’s something I really care about more than just something that will pay the bills.
Also met with a recruiter to chat about getting an #ios job. He said I’m in a good position to apply for junior roles, which was nice to hear. @josh and I are unsure about whether going into a full-time role is a good thing for #HelloCode but I haven’t come up with a better way to keep the bills paid and do work I enjoy while we keep growing Hello Code, either. #laterlog
- Continued #french study for my next #FieldTrip article. Focusing on different grammatical concepts, especially past and future tenses. It seems so complicated, even though we have pretty much as many rules in English.
- Ended up having appointments 5/7 days this week in total. Have to figure out how to cut down on time spent travelling back and forth to the city, as it takes around 3 hours for each 1hr appointment and makes it hard for me to focus on work once I’m home again.
- Asked around on Twitter for any leads on a jnr #ios job, as I’m thinking I’d like to spend my day job (since I have to have one while #HelloCode continues to grow slowly) learning to be a better developer. Have a couple of potential leads to follow up this week and next. Yay!
And a few more things I did this week #laterlog
- Started planning a new project: a book version of my #ProductiveHabits #course.
- Drafted some drip emails for new Larder users.
- Tracked down and fixed a bug in Larder for #ios related to #Realm and my share extension.
- Kept up my #gymnastics recovery/practice: stretching 2x/day and improving my core strength.
Haven’t been logging much lately because I didn’t feel like I’d gotten much done, but here’s a #laterlog of small things from the past couple of days:
After a little hiatus, I’m back! This is a #laterlog, but ohwell.
You are on a dreadful cemetery after nightfall and have to survive somehow to escape in the morning. The place, Necropolis, doesn’t want to let you go and sends Hunters after you.
Here’s the PDF for Necropolis